Please educate yourselves about Khadr, people’s ignorance is hurting Canada!
I didn’t write this, but it is bang on!
“Okay, let’s get some misinformation out of the way regarding Omar Khadr:
1. He is a Canadian born in Canada. If you want to send him “back where he came from,” that would be Toronto, a place he can only visit with his lawyer present.
2. The $10 million is the result of a lawsuit ruling from 2014. He is being awarded compensation because Canada colluded with the American government to deny Khadr his basic legal rights. It has nothing to do with his innocence or guilt in the 2002 firefight.
3. The Liberal Government decided to drop the appeals process when they came into power, recognizing that the government lost and must own up to its mistakes.
4. He was raised by extremists who taught him to build bombs and fire weapons from an early age. He is, by UN definition, a child soldier.
5. Khadr pleaded guilty to the crimes in 2010 but this was under duress and presented as the only route to repatriation. (At this point, he was held and tortured with the Canadian government’s approval, knowledge and involvement for 8 years, 3 of which were without charges being laid).
You may think Justin is gifting Khadr $10 million but it’s more the courts acknowledging that his basic rights as a Canadian were violated. You may not think him Canadian but he is and his country is finally, finally dealing with the mess it created. You may think him a terrorist and guess what? He was. But today we have a man raised in hate, abused for a decade by the very people he was taught to hate, and he wants to be a nurse. He wants to help and heal and that is an incredible thing. So how about you practice a little empathy?”